Last updated: 10/5/2015.
The Marlborough Downs Challenge offers two events:
- 33 mile* Trail Race
- 20 mile* Trail Race
* Note that distances are approximate only.
The 33 mile race is part of the 2015 Runfurther Ultra Championship.
The MDC is a beautiful yet challenging event, mostly off-road along tracks and footpaths. There is plenty of climbing - over 3000 feet for the 33 mile race. The routes take in some of the finest Wiltshire countryside including:
- The Wansdyke Path, Tan Hill Way, White Horse Trail, and Mid Wilts Way with superb views across the Vale of Pewsey
- West Woods and Gopher Wood, with its amazing wild garlic
- Two of the highest points in Wiltshire at Knapp Hill and Tan Hill, where the long and short courses diverge
Plus, on the 33-mile route:
- The Kennet & Avon Canal into Devizes
- Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill
- Cherhill Monument and White Horse
Finally, the routes rejoin to pass through Avebury, with its pre-historic stone circle and views of Silbury Hill, then go via Overton and Fyfield Downs back to Marlborough Leisure Centre for showers and refreshments.